Organic Fabrics Make Fashions More Eco-Friendly
Its time to stop branding environmentally-friendly clothing as tree hugger duds and start adding these fabrics to your closet. Eco fashions have come a long way and some of these unusual fabrics are surprisingly comfortable and fabulous.
From hemp thongs to organic socks, there is no reason you can’t dress eco-fabulous from head-to-toe. To get you started here are some materials to look for that can make your wardrobe a little more sustainable.
· Soy is a sustainable textile fiber made from renewable and biodegradable resources (the by-product of soybean oil production). In other words, no petrochemicals.
· Bamboo is processed with little or no environmental damage and no chemicals are needed; the fiber comes 100% from bamboo pulp. Bamboo fabric breathes easily and is naturally antibacterial.
· Organic Cotton is grown without the use of toxic chemicals. These cottons are grown using biologically based and sustainable methods.
· Hemp is eco-friendly because it doesn’t require pesticides to grow, plus it’s incredibly durable and therefore wears extremely well.
· Recycled Goods can be anything and everything. Be creative and you will be surprised at what you will find. Other fabrics themselves are considered recycled, maybe it’s a good time to clean out your closet.
Organic fabrics can no be purchased at many fabric stores and on-line, Ink & Spindle is one site that offers great organic cotton and hemp fabrics in beautiful colors and prints. Check them out and you will realize organic fabrics and be just as fun and creative as its traditional counterparts.